This recipe for Linguine with Shrimp and Mussels is an Italian-American classic. It has become famous in Figaretti, located in the city of Wheeling, West Virginia. The aromas filling up your home while preparing it will make everyone’s mouths water.
INGREDIENTS for Linguine with Shrimp and Mussels
- 8 oz. dried linguine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 8 mussels, scrubbed and shucked
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter without salt
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 basil leaves, torn. More to decorate
- Newly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
- 4 lemon segments
- Kosher salt or sea salt, to taste
The first thing we will do is to boil water in a pot with a good amount of salt. As soon as it starts boiling, add the linguine. Cook al dente, between 8-10 minutes. When ready, drain the pasta (DO NOT RINSE). Keep 1/4 cup of the pasta’s water.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add green and red peppers, garlic and onion. Cook for about 3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the wine and the mussels. Cook covered in a pan for about 2 minutes, until the mussels open. Then, add the remaining pasta water, the tomatoes, butter and shrimp. Keep cooking while stirring occasionally for about 1 minute or until the shrimp turn pink. Add the cooked linguine. Keep stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and sticks to the pasta. Add the basil and season with salt and pepper. Divide the pasta between the bowls. Sprinkle with more basil, asiago cheese and decorate with lemon wedges.
We used a white wine by La Mancha made with Sauvignon Blanc and Airen grapes, for this recipe. These two grapes, when combined, provide tropical and citrus aromas. In turn, they make elegant and smooth wines, the perfect kind for preparing this recipe while enjoying them on the side.
This post is also available in: Español