This post is also available in: Español
One of the gastronomies that I enjoy and admire most is the one from Oaxaca. It enriches the Mexican Cuisine and it has gained important recognitions like the one from the Patrimonio Intangible de la Humanidad (Intangible Heritage of Humanity) by UNESCO. A delicious example is the Cheese and Mushroom Stuffed Pepper with Pasilla Chili and Cane Sugar Sauce.
- 6 Poblano Peppers
- 2 1/2 kgs white mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 kgs manchego cheese
- 1/2 kg double cream cheese
- 1/2 kg Oaxacan cheese
INGREDIENTS FOR PASILLA SAUCE WITH CANE SUGAR:
- 10 rehydrated pasilla chilies
- 3 kg. guaje tomatoes
- 2 kg white onion
- 4 grs. ground cane sugar
- 1 litro olive oil
- 3 liters whipping cream
- Roast the poblano peppers on the stove or in a comal, taking care that they do not burn, turning each one from time to time.
- Once roasted, place the peppers inside a plastic bag and close it. Leave it for a few minutes until you can see water droplets in the bag. Remove them from the bag and remove the skin from poblano peppers. Once skinned, set aside.
- Slice mushrooms into very thin slices and sauté them with the garlic and salt and pepper.
- Shred the cheeses, and incorporate them with the mushrooms, and stir. Take a spoon and fill the poblano peppers with this mixture.
- To prepare the sauce, sauté the onion with a little oil, add the tomato and the pasilla chili, previously rehydrated. Add a little water, cook until it boils very well and season with salt and pepper. Wait for it to cool and grind in the blender until a fine sauce is obtained.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve to avoid lumps. Add the whipping cream, incorporating it well into the mixture, to balance the flavor.
Presentation: In a long dish, place a bed of sauce and on top of a stuffed pepper that is hot enough for the cheeses to have a have a crunchy top when serving.
Finally decorate with a little purple onion and a few strands of liquid cream on top.