Chayotes always cause some controversy. There are those who love them with devotion, and those who do not want anything to do with them. Here we put a twist on the typical chayote salad with our favorite Chayote Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette. It includes other vegetables such as carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and if you insist in not eating chayotes, prepare the salad with everything else. ????
INGREDIENTS for Chayote Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 green or red pepper chopped in large pieces
- 1/2 carrot diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 chayotes cut into squares
- 1/2 finely chopped purple onion
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked or roasted corn
- 1 small chopped tomato
For the Chipotle Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- a pinch of chipotle chile or chili powder to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Clean and wash all the vegetables very well. Boil the medium thick chopped onion, peppers, carrots, cloves of garlic and chayotes, over low heat, about 20 to 25 minutes or until the chayote is tender.
When they are ready, remove the chayote and cut it into cubes and let it cool. Place chopped chayote in medium bowl and add the chopped purple onion, green pepper, tomato, and corn. Stir everything until all the ingredients are integrated.
To prepare the vinaigrette: Pour all the required ingredients into a deep glass bowl. Mix them very well, until everything is well integrated.
To serve, add the vinaigrette to the chayote mixture and mix very well.